ForumUS Cars
  1. Startseite
  2. Forum
  3. Auto
  4. US Cars
  5. Leidige Thema Spritverbrauch - CAFE Standard und wie es die gebauten Autos beeinflusst

Leidige Thema Spritverbrauch - CAFE Standard und wie es die gebauten Autos beeinflusst

Chevrolet
Themenstarteram 6. Oktober 2012 um 14:21

Ok das hier is jetzt kein Thread wo es drum geht wie viel mein, dein, unsere Autos verbrauchen. Sondern mehr was denn eigentlich der Staat mit dem Spritverbrauch zu tun hat, und welche Art Autos uns im Jahr 2025 aus Amerika erwarten.

How The Government Killed Fuel Efficient Cars And Trucks

Auszüge

Zitat:

CAFE (industry short hand for Corporate Average Fuel Economy) came as a result of the 1973 oil embargo, as a means to mandate fuel economy targets for cars and light trucks. Over the last four decades, the standards have evolved, with the latest iteration being the targets set for fuel economy in the year 2025. The 2025 targets were released this summer, and comprise a 1,944 page tome full of arcane language and legalese that, while essential for understanding CAFE, are totally inaccessible to the general public.

Zitat:

One of CAFEs biggest impacts in recent times has manifested itself in how auto makers classify products.

Zitat:

In 2006, CAFE altered the formula for its 2011 fuel economy targets, by calculating a vehicle's "footprint", which is the vehicle's wheelbase multiplied by its wheel track. The footprint is expressed in square feet, and calculating this value is probably the most transparent part of the regulations. Fuel economy targets are a function of a vehicle's footprint; the smaller the footprint, the tougher the standards are. A car such as the Honda Fit, with its footprint of 40 square feet, has to achieve 61 mpg CAFE, or 43 mpg IRL (In Real Life) by 2025 to comply with regulations. At the opposite end of the spectrum, a full-size truck like the Ford F-150, with a footprint of 75 square feet, only needs to hit 30 mpg CAFE, or 23 mpg IRL, by the same timeframe.

Zitat:

When examined side by side with European emissions standards, the economics of CAFE become more transparent. EU are relatively straight forward by comparison. Tailpipe CO2 emissions are measured and a de facto consumption tax is levied based on a vehicle's output. There are no footprint formulas or regulatory loopholes that can be manipulated, though there are different standards for diesel and gasoline engines.

Zitat:

On the other hand, a consumption tax related to the profligacy of their vehicle would be disastrous to the Big Three. Full-size trucks, rather than cars, are the profit-makers for the Big Three, and no segment has more to lose from tough CAFE standards.

Zitat:

But the reality is that Detroit's car makers need trucks to be affordable to stay in business.

Zitat:

In this context, it's easy to see why the two major dissenters from the 2025 CAFE rules were Volkswagen and Mercedes-Benz. Representatives from both companies spoke out candidly about CAFE

Zitat:

Europe's own Euro VI standards measure a grand total of 18 pages in PDF format, and are generally regarded as stricter than CAFE. That, combined with the substantially more egalitarian nature of the consumption tax model employed by Euro VI brings the legitimacy of CAFE into question even further.

Und nun noch ein paar Zitate aus einem Forum

Zitat:

That perversion has been in place a long time, with the separate car/light truck numbers encouraging the production and marketing of larger trucks and SUVs, since the 90s. I haven't looked lately, but as of a couple of years ago, actual fleet fuel economy (the cars people are driving on the roads) peaked in 1985.

I'd prefer to forget it all together, and go with a larger gas tax (ratcheting up to $1/gal or more) that would better fund our transport infrastructure anyway.

I like the luxury of our MDX, but I can't stand its fuel economy. It bugs the crap out of me every time I fill it. Next go around, I will seriously consider a diesel wagon with a bit less interior space, and use a trailer hitch with a small "trunk" trailer for traveling. No joke. The one hangup is that the 3rd row seating does get used quite a bit- at least weekly- toting 6+ people around.

Zitat:

After reading the CAFE reg as posted by 78typeltcamaro

I had to go find some info.

I have always wondered just exactly what the benefit is (in my WALLET) for our MODERN DAY PITA electronic nighmare stuff. hold on...not yet

While I do recognize the overal drivability and SOME emissions factors I pose this 1 question.

With modern day fuel injection stuff is the AVERAGE vehicle benefitting at the PUMP?

here are the 2 GOV info's I was using...I wasn't driving in 77 (lol)

http://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/bymodel/2002_Ford_F150_Pickup.shtml

http://www.afdc.energy.gov/pdfs/1977_feg.pdf

I happen to be a fan of the Q-jet and do believe it is a capable fuel metering system. But the fact remains that in order to drive a 5000 lb pick-up with a v-8 you are only going to get around 12-15 mpg in town!!! Back in 1977...same in 2002. regardless of the 4.10 gear and 3 speed th400 vs the 3.23 gear and 4-speed auto + lock-up converter....

Zitat:

Overdrive transmissions, with a lock up torque converter, were a bit improvement fuel economy wise(depending on your defninition of "big", I suppose). Speed-load mapping of spark advance improved FE some, compared to distributors, due to reduced spark error and better optimization to MBT. Electronic knock control allowed better spark advance curves when running good fuel, while still protecting the engine if one dumped a bunch of junk fuel in it. And the compression ratios could be bumped up some, knowing the knock control would catch less low quality fuel.

My personal opinion of sequential port fuel injection is it helped emissions(and power) more than FE. Combined with the O2 sensors, the air/fuel control is much tighter than with a carb, but with the 3 way catalytic converter, we're forced to run stoichiometric A/F ratios even at light cruise. Carbs like those used by Oldsmobile and Chrysler in the '70s, before the NOx standards forced 3 way converters, could run lean A/F ratios at highway cruise(~17:1, instead of 14.7:1), getting into a bit more efficient light load A/F ratio. I've been sort of surprised aftermarket tuners haven't offered lean cruise calibrations, for better fuel economy. Maybe there's just not much there. Such a calibration would screw up the catalyst diagnostic, so they'd have to disable that at least, I suppose.

Port fuel injection did, however, dry out the intake manifolds considerably, so the transient throttle enrichment could be dialed back some, which probably helped FE. But those are just my opinions.

The increase in weight has been a killer. I don't think light duty(e.g., F150 or 1500) pickup trucks came in at 5,000 lbs back in the '60s. My '88 Blazer was only about 4500 lbs., I believe.

CAFE regulations haven't saved as much fuel as the public at large thinks, because of considerations like those outlined in that article. But the politicians love it(Republican and Democrat), so it's hard to see it getting repealed. And I doubt the NOx standard will ever get relaxed.

Zitat:

Here is a simple fact that can not be overcome. A gallon of gas can only exert X amount of energy. Does not matter if it is a big NA V8 making 400hp or a turbo 4 or 6 making 400hp. You can not make more hp with less fuel.

Just look at fords ecoboost for example. They kept claiming all this power and more fuel efficient.

WRONG

It is more fuel efficient IF YOU KEEP YOUR FOOT OUT OF IT and it also makes NO POWER when you are not boosting it. HMMMMMMM I wonder why? Boost=more air and fuel=power. Keep your foot out = no or little boost = less air and fuel = less power = better fuel mileage.

Lets face it these new rules are the end of having anything with any power. Everything will get MUCH smaller and we will be forced to drive small econo turds. Just exactly like Europe. That is how I see this country heading slowly but surely and it makes me sick to my stomach.

Wie seht ihr das?

Beste Antwort im Thema

Wartet mal ab bis Ford den EU-Mustang mit dem 1.0 Ecoboost bestückt :D

Ich hab so das Gefühl, dass die mit ihrem geplanten 4- und 6-Zylinder im Mustang so richtig eingehen werden.

Aber nicht immer liegt es am Verbrauch der Fahrzeuge, sondern oft an den Kisten selber!

Man sieht an den derzeitigen Zulassungen auch sehr deutlich, dass die Leute die angebotenen Fahrzeuge entweder nicht zahlen können oder die Kisten nicht wollen.

Ich suche derzeit nichts anderes als einen Ersatz für unseren Dodge und meinen Cadillac in Richtung familientaugliches Fahrzeug mit einigermaßen Kofferraum, LPG-festem Motor und natürlich Automatik, Tempomat, Becherhalter, austauschbares Radio, Klimaanlage ohne 1234y,AHK, 4 el FH, Panoramadach hätt die Frau ganz gern, ..., achja - Allrad wär im Allgäu nett...

Gib das mal in eine der Börsen ein, du kommst irgendwie immer bei Subaru raus - bin da glaub schon jeden erdenklichen gefahren - alle gleich sch*****. Der Forester wär groß genug, sieht aber innen wie aussen sch***** aus und hat keine Power, schluckt aber unter LPG fast soviel wie ein V8.

Der Legacy ist zu klein, der Tribeca hält kein Gas aus und alle anderen passen auch nicht.

Genau das ist die Krux - die Hersteller bieten 500 verschiedene Modelle an, aber KEINES, das für mich passt.

Ich hasse Kompromisse...wenn mir ein Autoverkäufer erzählen will:

"Da gewöhnen Sie sich dran."

Ja, im gleichen Moment verlasse ich das Autohaus - denn ich WILL mich nicht daran gewöhnen - ich WILL, dass das Auto so gebaut ist, dass ich mich eben nicht umgewöhnen muss. Warum soll ich als Rechshänder zum Geier nochmal meinen Becher auf Wadenhöhe in der Tür abstellen? No-Go.

Die nächsten verkaufen Tempomaten nur beim Diesel.

Die nächsten verkaufen LPG nur mit Schaltung.

Die nächsten....bin ich eigentlich im Gaga-Land?

ICH BIN KUNDE - WO BIN ICH DENN HIER KÖNIG?????

Hier ist das Problem - geh mal ohne Anzug in ein Autohaus...du wirst noch nicht mal mehr begrüsst, sondern bewußt äusserlich eingeschätzt, ob du denn überhaupt liquid genug bist, ein Auto zu kaufen...Frechheit!

Soll ich den Verkäufer auch mal äusserlich bewerten, welche Ahnung er denn von seinem Produkt hat? Brauch ihn gar nicht zu sehen: KEINE!

Wer jetzt glaubt, nur ich wäre so, der soll mal hier in die süddeutsche Region kommen, hier erwartet man nach 500 tkm bei einem 190D Kulanz beim Motorschaden - alles andere wäre eine Frechheit und Enteignung.

Oder wie mein Nachbar bei der Präsentation der A-Klasse sagte:

"Hanoi, des isch it des Bäschte, do kauf i nix."

Sein E300 hat übrigens noch keine Million drauf wie er immer sagt.

(780 tkm)

"Des war halt no des Bäschte. Der Kruscht heit - kasch vergessa."

Wahrscheinlich wird es bei uns wieder ein Ami - Cadillac SRX, Escalade, Navigator/Aviator, MKX, Buick Enclave...komisch, komisch...

Vielleicht will mein Nachbar auch mal mitfahren....

7 weitere Antworten