4. Opel
  5. Insignia
  6. Insignia A
  7. Opel Insignia motor A20NHT irregular acceleration problem

Opel Insignia motor A20NHT irregular acceleration problem

Opel Insignia A (G09)
Themenstarteram 23. Januar 2011 um 1:36

Hello,

I´m sorry about writing in english. I am from Sweden and bought a Opel Insignia Sportstourer Cosmo 2,0T with engine A20NHT in springtime 2010. Several problems has accured.

* There is irregular acceleration when acceleration is done from low speed and low RPM in mainly the first three gears.

* This irregular acceleration is much increased when the speed cruise control is activated and the motor has to work a bit, when there is some load like a empty trailer with hard housing behind. The acceleration problems is then coming when acceleration is done at the jog wheel for the cruise control in fifth gear and a speed at 70-80kmh.

The local Opel dealer (Kronobergs Bilaffär) said that they could find the problem and that Opel Germany knowed about it and would fix it after the summer vacation 2010. The Opel CCDM Sweden guy later on tested the Insignia and told another story. He said it was normal and the engine system sensed according to him in two steps how much power that is needed to proper acceleration. CCDM guy also told there was no priority from Opels side to fix it, so in other words he admitted that it was some kind of problem. CCDM guy is speaking with two mouths I think, and I have bad experience from this CCDM guy before when I owned a Opel Vectra -08 with servo and gearbox problems.

The problem with this Insignia is that it´s not only irregular in two steps, it´s irregular up to seven-eight times in low speed and low RPM, when acceleration is done by foot-to-pedal, and less than half gas is given.

When accelerating with the cruise control jog wheel the acceleration is standing still and the whole car becomes jerky/spasmodic so much that I don´t dare to keep on giving this commando.

Nothing happens from Opels side and I will let this matter go to Swedish complaint board (ARN).

Have any other Insignia owner here the same experiences?

Ähnliche Themen
15 Antworten

hello and welcome!

from what i gather, the 2.0 turbo engine is quite refined and trouble-free. i have only read about engine failures two or three times. standard procedure would be to update the engine's control software to the newest version, because (IIRC) there has been a factory recall for this engine because of medium-load stuttering.

this should be free of charge. is the car still covered under warranty? if so, then your garage should most definitely help you, because there is something wrong with your engine. call opel directly if you have to, to keep the pressure up. updating the software is a bit complicated, so some garages try to get around doing that :)

insist on that. should the problem persist, you might brace for something bigger but still: warranty should cover it.

keep us updated.

Zitat:

Original geschrieben von OpelInsigniaSweden

* There is irregular acceleration when acceleration is done from low speed and low RPM in mainly the first three gears.

* This irregular acceleration is much increased when the speed cruise control is activated and the motor has to work a bit, when there is some load like a empty trailer with hard housing behind. The acceleration problems is then coming when acceleration is done at the jog wheel for the cruise control in fifth gear and a speed at 70-80kmh.

Can you quantize the RPM, speed and gear values? Your problem description makes a strange reading when push comes to shove...

wbr,

BlackTM

Themenstarteram 24. Januar 2011 um 8:20

Thank you very much for answering! This forum seems to be really good!

In first gear from 900-1.000 RPM up to ~ 1.800 RPM there is irregular acceleration a few times and sometimes one harder irregular jerk when gas is given a little bit less than half gas.

In second gear from 1.000 to 1.800 RPM there is irregular acceleration when the same less half gas is given.

In third gear from 1.000 to 2.000 RPM there is really irregular acceleration, up to 7-8 times, when less than half gas is given.

In fifth gear when empty trailer with hard trunk is behind there is heavy jerk´s, so heavy in 70-80kmh when accelerating with jog wheel for cruise control, so I don´t dare to test this more.

Responce time from gas is given until acceleration is slow. It seems like the engine at first don´t deliver proper power. The engine feels very very weak when turbo don´t work, in lower RPM (as above named). When turbo goes in there is much power delivered.

Themenstarteram 24. Januar 2011 um 8:49

There is still warranty at the car. Bought it 2010-03. Now 8.500km at the clock.

By the way the acceleration is slight irregular in other speeds (than low) and RPM´s too, especially when accelerating with jog wheel for cruise control, even without trailer behind.

When CCDM guy from Opel Sweden tested the car he first drove so "carefully" so this problem did´nt show. CCDM told me, -"Here is no problems with this car." I told him that he was driving exactly that one shall do to "hide" the problem. He then laughed a bit and said -"Then we drive so it shows up." And he did, there was irregular acceleration even when he tested and he knowed how to do to make it show. He then told that the system feels in two steps how much power that needs and mentioned that it´s this I feel. I think this is a lie because it´s irregular so many times and heavy jerky when trailer is behind.

Opel refuses to fix this problem. My demand is now that they recall/by back the car. They refuse even this.

Sorry to say that this is not the only problem with the car.

Else I think that Insignia is really nice to drive and look at.

This same CCDM guy has before lied to me about problems with my Vectra -08. He even tried to get me believe that the jerky servo in the Vectra was no fault, instead he said that I could feel the servo jerk´s because of a whiplash wound that I have in neck from a car accident. I earlier told him about that whiplash when we discussed car safety. This was very very low from him! I´m not stupid, have not come down at a pink cloud. Opel poured some slick oil in the servo to repair and then lied to me and said that they did´nt pour the oil in. Instead they said that they had done some adjustments to the servo that should be better after 3.000-4.000km driving. I recorded when one in the Opel staff later on admitted the lie to me.

Themenstarteram 24. Januar 2011 um 11:53

Opel called me up and date for enginecheck is set to 2011-02-02. They shall check if there´s some problems with torque.

Hi,

your description reduces the amount of root causes down a bit, but leaves too much open to isolate one component. It could be engine characteristics not complying with cold temperatures with load at around idle rpm, clutch slip, turbo failure or exhaust gas after treatment or a general problem of engine characteristics.

It´s a quite specific environment there, so ask/try finding other drivers of other Insignia 2.0T that do use a trailer. Which kind of gas are you fueling up? Did you ever try gas of a higher quality (ROZ)? Did that improve anything? Were there any modifications to the engine?

wbr,

BlackTM

Themenstarteram 27. Januar 2011 um 21:13

Zitat:

Original geschrieben von BlackTM

Hi,

your description reduces the amount of root causes down a bit, but leaves too much open to isolate one component. It could be engine characteristics not complying with cold temperatures with load at around idle rpm, clutch slip, turbo failure or exhaust gas after treatment or a general problem of engine characteristics.

It´s a quite specific environment there, so ask/try finding other drivers of other Insignia 2.0T that do use a trailer. Which kind of gas are you fueling up? Did you ever try gas of a higher quality (ROZ)? Did that improve anything? Were there any modifications to the engine?

wbr,

BlackTM

Dear BlackTM,

Thanks for your answer and questions.

At first I reread answer from DJS4000 about "medium-load stuttering" and this evening I took the Insignia for a long testride. It makes perfectly sense when talking about medium-load stuttering. In all gears and speeds where medium load is given at gas pedal and acceleration is done there is irregular acceleration, until the engine don´t have to work so hard to accelerate anymore. It also makes sense when talking about "medium-load stuttering" when the cruise control is activated and acceleration is done (with cruise control jogwheel) with empty trailer behind. The cruise control acceleration with jogwheel is limited to somewhere around medium-load. And when the car has to work a bit harder there is major jumpy acceleration, not only stuttering, more like worse cough. Also tested to do cruise control jogwheel acceleration without trailer behind and there is clearly irregular acceleration after some seconds of gas commando given.

This problem is the same in summer as in winter, so I don´t think it has to do with temperatures.

Have always unleaded petrol in tank, from either Jet, Preem, Shell or Statoil. The problem is there anyway. Don´t think the petrol can be blamed for this. Have not tested V-Power petrol from Shell and don´t want to because the car shall be perfectly functional with the other unleaded petrols.

No modifications is done to the engine.

I don´t know anyone else with a 2,0T that can test with trailer behind. I was one of the first lucky Insignia owners here in this town. Not so lucky anymore though.

Do anyone here at forum information about the A20NHT motor update as DJS4000 are talking about? Is there any technical service bulletin number?

Themenstarteram 5. Februar 2011 um 20:29

Hello,

Yesterday Opel made a testdrive and "recorded" the Insignia engine during the test. The recording shall be sent to Opel (Germany, I think). They shall evaluate if there can be seen any problem with irregular acceleration.

I will keep you updated when answer comes in.

Themenstarteram 7. Februar 2011 um 19:43

Something strange has happen.. Up to 8.500km the fuel consumption was above 12L per 100km driving in town and at highway. I noticed that the fuel consumption was lower, down to above 10L in the same driving conditions after ca. 8.600km. Then the irregular acceleration changed a bit, it decreased, was less irregular but still is there so I can clearly feel the Insignia be irregular in acceleration in given driving conditions. Strange, something is happening with hardware and/or software in this Insignia.

Zitat:

Something strange has happen.. Up to 8.500km the fuel consumption was above 12L per 100km driving in town and at highway. I noticed that the fuel consumption was lower, down to above 10L in the same driving conditions after ca. 8.600km.

it would appear that this is quite normal. the engine needs some time to properly break in.

Themenstarteram 7. Februar 2011 um 20:03

Hello DJS4000!

The decrease in fuel consumption came like a snap with fingers and less irregularity in the same time. It don´t feel really normal if the two things is added to each other.

Zitat:

Hello DJS4000!

The decrease in fuel consumption came like a snap with fingers and less irregularity in the same time. It don´t feel really normal if the two things is added to each other.

still hard to make anything of this. but it sounds a bit like an ignition-related problem from over here. did you check the spark plugs for color? just a hunch...

Themenstarteram 7. Februar 2011 um 21:07

Dear DJS4000,

I´ve not checked the spark plugs yet but will do after your description, later on this week.

Spoke with another Insignia owner right now and he has a 1,6. He noticed exactly as I a drop in fuel consumption after 8.500km at the clock. This fuel consumption drop can be normal and maybe programmed because I´ve read about this before!?

Thanks!

Zitat:

Spoke with another Insignia owner right now and he has a 1,6. He noticed exactly as I a drop in fuel consumption after 8.500km at the clock. This fuel consumption drop can be normal and maybe programmed because I´ve read about this before!?

Thanks!

well, like i said, cars fresh from the factory need a few thousand kilometers to break in (although nowadays technically they wouldn't need to, because the engines are broken in at the factory - gearbox, axles and differentials however, are not), so the driver is likely to experience increased fuel consumption. this will change after about 5000 to 10000 km or so. whether there is a set distance programmed into the ecu - i don't know, but many new owners describe similar effects and i would expect the same :)

Deine Antwort