1. Startseite
  2. Forum
  3. Motorrad
  4. Biker-Treff
  5. Questions about motorcycles in Germany

Questions about motorcycles in Germany

Themenstarteram 4. Juli 2011 um 12:56

Hello,

sorry for writing in English but i do not know very good German.

I am from Greece and from 1st Octomber i will be at Bonn.

I am in love with motorcycles and wish to be able to have one (at least a 50cc :P).

I do not know how much is the cost for insurance in Germany .

Also i would like to know if there are extra annual costs for motorcycle like taxes etc.

Thanks in advance

Ähnliche Themen
8 Antworten

Kalispera. :)

Do you already have a license class A1 or class A?

Are you a student?

<=50 cc: No tax, insurance: 60 Euro per year (only available for one year, no smaller timeslots). Those 50 cc are must not be faster than 45 km/h.

<=125 cc: No tax, insurance depends on the insurance company and your status. Maybe you can get some information about insurance companies for foreign people. Maximum kW: 11, no speed limit if you are over 18 years old.

>125 cc: Tax depending on cc, insurance -> like described at the 125 cc.

Greetings, Martin

Themenstarteram 4. Juli 2011 um 13:17

Zitat:

Original geschrieben von X_FISH

Kalispera. :)

Do you already have a license class A1 or class A?

Are you a student?

<=50 cc: No tax, insurance: 60 Euro per year (only available for one year, no smaller timeslots). Those 50 cc are must not be faster than 45 km/h.

<=125 cc: No tax, insurance depends on the insurance company and your status. Maybe you can get some information about insurance companies for foreign people. Maximum kW: 11, no speed limit if you are over 18 years old.

>125 cc: Tax depending on cc, insurance -> like described at the 125 cc.

Greetings, Martin

Kalispera!!

I am 27 years old and i have the big licence ( A ) .

Yes i will be a student for 2 years.

in general for a 600cc in Greece costs around 150 / 6 months (includes only 3rd party ).

Is the cost around there?

THanks ,

Giorgos

First of all: Some additional information:

You have heard about the german law when it's wintertime? You will not be allowed to ride your bike when it does not have proper tires for the winter (snowflake-logo or »M+S« on the side).

Keep that in mind when you plan to buy a machine.

Also: You have to re-register your residence to germany -> this is necessary to be able to get a license plate for a vehicle. Not hard to get that: Simply go to the town hall after you have found your place to stay.

_____

600cc: 44 Euro tax per year.

Easy to use website for other bikes with more or less cc: http://www.kfz-steuer.de/kfz-steuer_krad.php

Insurance: Depends on the company and what terms you will get as a foreign student. I have no experience with that here in germany, but I got a fair offer when I was a student in switzerland.

I have used one of the available online forms to get an price:

»Haftpflicht« insurance -> you have to start at 125% -> 186,88 Euro insurance per year (took a XJ 600 from 1999 to calculate)

»Teilkasko« insurance -> additional 44,08 Euro per year. You will get money when the machine has been stolen, was struck by lightning, etc.

There is also the »Vollkasko« insurance that will include the damage you have done yourself while riding and having an accident -> additonal 900,98 €. So it makes not sense to take »Vollkasko« when you decide to choose a cheap ride.

Greetings, Martin

Ah, forgot something:

It is possible to choose to permit for a part of the year like from march to october or april to september. It's the numbers on the upper right corner:

http://www.kennzeichen-bga.de/.../8_0.jpg

04/10 -> april to october

10/04 -> october to april

03/12 -> march to december

It is not allowed to ride the bike in others than that period of time.

Pros:

* less tax

* less insurance

* once taken, you do not have to tell your insurance that you do not want to ride the bike in december, etc.

Cons:

* you can not leave the bike out on the street in the other month (insurance-problems)

* you have to find a garage or a private spot to park the bike there (-> maybe more expensive than paying tax and insurance for the whole year)

Greetings, Martin

Themenstarteram 4. Juli 2011 um 13:40

Thanks Martin.

You were very clear.

If your german is good enough for this (or you know someone german or sth), you can check your insurance rate here:

https://www.check24.de/.../

Hi Gosom,

just to help ..

3rd party = Haftpflicht

3rd Party + fire and theft = Teilkasko

Full = Vollkasko

Jason

am 4. Juli 2011 um 18:20

Hi Gosom,

firstly welcome for your student years here in cold and rainy Germany.

Although almost everything has been said in the above, maybe I can add one more thing:

Your insurance rate here in Germany depends a whole lot on your driving history.

When you start as a total drivers licence newbee, the rates can go up all the way to 175% of the

regular 100% rate, and as a 27 years old having held your A-licence roughly since you were 18, if you did nothing

to prove your driving history, you would probably start at 125%, as someone had already said in the above.

Depends a bit on negotiations with the insurance company though.

Mostly and customarily for German insurance companies, motorcycle liability insurance rate goes down in yearly steps of 5-10% until it reaches a minimum of 35% rate, once you have driven for >7 years accident-free, for a car insurance it always takes much longer, s.th. on the order of 15 years of accident-free driving, but there it can even go down to 30% then. Not sure about the various "Kasko"-insurances though.

So I suppose, if you have been driving accident-free in Greece and if you provide a certified document from your Greek insurance company stating and confirming that, you should perhaps be able to get that safe driver rebate here as well.

All in all, I would say, the rate of German car/motorcycle insurances are very fair and inexpensive (especially in comparison to many other European countries, not to mention the insurance rates in the USA), if you are not a total driver licence newbee and especially if you have a safe driving record, i.e. no accidents. A big "power bike" (1100cc, 150+hp) at 35% costs roughly 120 Euros for 6-7 months (i.e. e.g. April-October) liability insurance, "Teilkasko" (theft and fire and glass damages) about 40 Euros extra. Tax depends a lot on the exhaust rating of your bike (without catalytic converter, it's about 20 Euros yearly per 100 cc engine size, but if you have "Saisonkennzeichen" (i.e. registered from April-October), it also reduces accordingly.

Insurance rates don't just strictly go by the engine size and power, it also depends on the accident statistics of the specific bike ... so, for a bike type which is usually involved in a lot of accidents or is often illegally tuned or things like that, the insurance rates might tend to be higher than for "travel bikes" that are usually never involved in any accidents.

Riding a bike from November to February/March does not make much sense here in Germany, not sure if you are familiar with the German weather ...:D:p ..so usually most people register their bikes from months 3 to 10 or 4 to 10, cuts the cost in half almost.

Questions ... ? Ask ...

Regards

Deine Antwort