ForumA5 8T & 8F
  1. Startseite
  2. Forum
  3. Auto
  4. Audi
  5. A5
  6. A5 8T & 8F
  7. S5 Abt tuning: V6T mit 435PS/520Nm (& neue Pedale :))

S5 Abt tuning: V6T mit 435PS/520Nm (& neue Pedale :))

Themenstarteram 10. Mai 2011 um 12:19

Habe dieses gerade gepost im AZ/A5OC forum, aber leider ist mein Deutsch nicht so gut wie mein English, so wer ein ersatzung braucht............translate.google.com :)

After many consideration, I decided to do the Abt Engine tuning on my S5 cabrio. Since I had some very bad experience with the V6T engine in my first S5 cabrio (see other thread), the Warranty thing is very important to me this new MY 2011 car. Here in EU, only Abt seems to offer full Warranty, but I also looked at MTM, SKN, Wetterauer and APR.

Besides that, of course the real-life performance after the upgrade is most important, especially a growing power curve above 5500 rpm, as well as noticeable higher torque over the whole rpm-range.

I read some horror stories of people using a "piggyback box" (like MTM and Abt seem to use) but further research learned me that it concerned mainly the first months after launch (2009) and boxes that are not specificly tuned to a specifc engine. An engineer of Abt explained to me that their Abt Engine Control Unit (AEC) works now in master/slave mode with the original ECU and

when they have the exact engine nr of your car, they get some more info from Audi, and they can perfectly config the AEC for your car. One other advantage of this solution is that when you get software updates for your car/engine, the AEC keeps working (and so the tuning is not "wiped" as with some other solutions on the market).

The specs of the AEC:

• Power: 320Kw/435PS at 6800 rpm (orignal: 245Kw/333PS at 5500-7000 rpm)
  • Torque: 520 Nm at 4700 rpm (orignal: 440 Nm at 2900-5300 rpm)
  • Top speed: 282 km/h (orignal: 250 km/h)
  • 0-100 km/h: 5,1 seconds (orignal: 5,6 seconds)
  • CO2: 224 g/km (original 224 g/km)

Ok, so far the theory, most important is of course......how does it work in real-life?

Before we come to that, here some pics of my upgraded interior (don't like any visible outside mods or logo's to keep it low profile).

RS6 gear knob: with smooth leather (did consider the RS5 one, but way too risky with the 90-degree twisting imho)

Alu pedals: since I got the Abt tuning, I decided to go for the Abt alu pedals also, it gives a nice "touch" :)

Pedals and gearknob: sporty cockpit! :cool:

White fog lights: much less disturbing than the original "yellow" ones

Ok, now let's see how it drives! I did some extensive test driving, and to not only rely on my personal feeling of how fast it is, I also did some test runs (under the same conditions as I did with the car before the tuning), and here are the results:

• 0-100 km/h (0-62 mph): 5,3 sec (was 5,7 sec)
  • 80-120 km/h (50-70 mph): 3,0 sec (was 3,5 sec)
  • 80-160 km/h: 7,5 sec (was 8,4 sec)
  • 80-200 km/h: 15,0 sec (was 17,0 sec)

The fact that the car is fully loaded (with options and driver :)) can explain the little difference compared to the official figures. Despite the absolute numbers, it is of course mostly about the difference between before and after the tuning, and that difference is huge!

Some other tests are under way (0-60 mph for the US guys, 0-160 km/h, 0-200 km/h, mileage, etc).

Also I did not test top speed fully yet, originally it is limited at 272 km/h on the BIS (265 km/h on GPS), now it should go to > 290 km/h on the BIS (282 km/h on GPS), as I see how easy it was after the tune to go to 260 km/h, I am sure that will be ok, but I will try that next week in Germany :cool:

Besides the numbers (2 seconds faster on 80-200 km/h is a huge difference!) the performance is really a major leap forward! You feel much more torque at every rpm, and even can keep driving in gear 7 and still have enough torque for overtaking other cars.

You can also feel that the power-limit of the original setup (flat 335 PS above 5500 rpm) is gone, and the power increases also after 5500 rpm until 6800 rpm.

Abt V6T power graph

Conclusion up til now: the car was fast already, but now has become "insane", especially in Dynamic mode you really feel "king of the road", and when driving in Comfort/Auto, it still is a relaxing cruiser (with also enormous torque). :cool:

Beste Antwort im Thema
Themenstarteram 10. Mai 2011 um 12:19

Habe dieses gerade gepost im AZ/A5OC forum, aber leider ist mein Deutsch nicht so gut wie mein English, so wer ein ersatzung braucht............translate.google.com :)

After many consideration, I decided to do the Abt Engine tuning on my S5 cabrio. Since I had some very bad experience with the V6T engine in my first S5 cabrio (see other thread), the Warranty thing is very important to me this new MY 2011 car. Here in EU, only Abt seems to offer full Warranty, but I also looked at MTM, SKN, Wetterauer and APR.

Besides that, of course the real-life performance after the upgrade is most important, especially a growing power curve above 5500 rpm, as well as noticeable higher torque over the whole rpm-range.

I read some horror stories of people using a "piggyback box" (like MTM and Abt seem to use) but further research learned me that it concerned mainly the first months after launch (2009) and boxes that are not specificly tuned to a specifc engine. An engineer of Abt explained to me that their Abt Engine Control Unit (AEC) works now in master/slave mode with the original ECU and

when they have the exact engine nr of your car, they get some more info from Audi, and they can perfectly config the AEC for your car. One other advantage of this solution is that when you get software updates for your car/engine, the AEC keeps working (and so the tuning is not "wiped" as with some other solutions on the market).

The specs of the AEC:

• Power: 320Kw/435PS at 6800 rpm (orignal: 245Kw/333PS at 5500-7000 rpm)
  • Torque: 520 Nm at 4700 rpm (orignal: 440 Nm at 2900-5300 rpm)
  • Top speed: 282 km/h (orignal: 250 km/h)
  • 0-100 km/h: 5,1 seconds (orignal: 5,6 seconds)
  • CO2: 224 g/km (original 224 g/km)

Ok, so far the theory, most important is of course......how does it work in real-life?

Before we come to that, here some pics of my upgraded interior (don't like any visible outside mods or logo's to keep it low profile).

RS6 gear knob: with smooth leather (did consider the RS5 one, but way too risky with the 90-degree twisting imho)

Alu pedals: since I got the Abt tuning, I decided to go for the Abt alu pedals also, it gives a nice "touch" :)

Pedals and gearknob: sporty cockpit! :cool:

White fog lights: much less disturbing than the original "yellow" ones

Ok, now let's see how it drives! I did some extensive test driving, and to not only rely on my personal feeling of how fast it is, I also did some test runs (under the same conditions as I did with the car before the tuning), and here are the results:

• 0-100 km/h (0-62 mph): 5,3 sec (was 5,7 sec)
  • 80-120 km/h (50-70 mph): 3,0 sec (was 3,5 sec)
  • 80-160 km/h: 7,5 sec (was 8,4 sec)
  • 80-200 km/h: 15,0 sec (was 17,0 sec)

The fact that the car is fully loaded (with options and driver :)) can explain the little difference compared to the official figures. Despite the absolute numbers, it is of course mostly about the difference between before and after the tuning, and that difference is huge!

Some other tests are under way (0-60 mph for the US guys, 0-160 km/h, 0-200 km/h, mileage, etc).

Also I did not test top speed fully yet, originally it is limited at 272 km/h on the BIS (265 km/h on GPS), now it should go to > 290 km/h on the BIS (282 km/h on GPS), as I see how easy it was after the tune to go to 260 km/h, I am sure that will be ok, but I will try that next week in Germany :cool:

Besides the numbers (2 seconds faster on 80-200 km/h is a huge difference!) the performance is really a major leap forward! You feel much more torque at every rpm, and even can keep driving in gear 7 and still have enough torque for overtaking other cars.

You can also feel that the power-limit of the original setup (flat 335 PS above 5500 rpm) is gone, and the power increases also after 5500 rpm until 6800 rpm.

Abt V6T power graph

Conclusion up til now: the car was fast already, but now has become "insane", especially in Dynamic mode you really feel "king of the road", and when driving in Comfort/Auto, it still is a relaxing cruiser (with also enormous torque). :cool:

21 weitere Antworten